Quadriga of Lysippos
archival digital photograph
This original 4th century b.c. gilded Greek sculpture was brought to Rome by Nero. Later, Emperor Constantine situated the horses in Constantinople where they stood above the Hippodrome. In 1204, when the Byzantine Empire was sacked during the Fourth Crusade, they came to Venice to stand atop St. Marks Cathedral. In 1798, they were plundered by Napoleon and brought to Paris. Later after his fall at Waterloo, they returned to Venice. Now they reside in the Museum of St Marks, and a replica stands outside the cathedral atop the narthex.
Medici Gallery, Austin, Texas
Eclectic Gallery, Victoria, BC
Copyright 2014 • John Taylor Photography • All Rights Reserved